With a power pack of 508 horses the highly anticipated Volvo S60 Polestar performance concept made its world premiere on Saturday. And what makes this car unique is that it is one of the models developed by Volvo Cars Official Motorsports along with their racing and tuning partner Polestar, for a client who remains unnamed as yet.
The S60 Polestar performance pack consists of a 3.0-liter, straight-six highly tuned engine mated with modified combustion chambers, inlet manifold and conrods, and a large Garrett 3171 turbocharger which is capable of delivering a whopping 508-hp and 424 lb-ft of torque . Altogether, this gives the S60 Polestar the ability to sprint from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in just under four seconds and top speed is said to be ‘more than 300kph‘! The drive is sent through all four wheels via a six-speed close-ratio manual gearbox.
Compared with the standard T6 AWD S60, the figures represent a power increase of 197bhp. Top speed is also 50kph higher and 100kph sprint time 2.2sec quicker.
Modifications of the 300kph super saloon’s chassis comprise a 30mm lower ride height than the standard car, as well as well as a wider track front and rear by 20mm and 40mm respectively to keep the concept’s body stable at high speed. A 3.5-inch stainless steel exhaust system has also been fitted.
This car is capable of giving a tough competition to BMW M3 and Mercedes C63 AMG if it does came into production, because when compared; the current Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is powered by a 451hp (457PS) 6.3-liter V8 hits 100km/h in 4.4 seconds and tops out at 250km/h (155mph – electronically limited), making it apparent who takes crown.
The car currently remains a one-off concept vehicle. However, there’s a ray of hope still, as the two brands have stated that “a small series of Polestar modified S60s may be built pending market response”. In other words, if you like it, let the company know so in order to encourage production. You can start by our comments section. ;)
- 0-100 km/h 3.9s
- Top speed more than 300km/h
- Volvo T6 inline six (B6304T4)
- 508 hp @ 6500rpm
- 575Nm @ 5500rpm
- Max rpm: 7100
- Modified cylinder head and combustion chambers
- Modified inlet manifold and air intake
- Special manufactured conrods
- Garret 3171 turbo
- Ferrita 3.5” stainless steel exhaust system
- Reinforced M66C (close ratio) manual 6-speed gear box.
- Haldex E-LSD in rear
- Haldex Gen4 XWD
- Tires 265/30R19
- Rims Polestar 9,5X19”
- Chassis lowered 30mm
- Öhlins 3- way shock absorbers
- Reinforced anti-roll bar front and rear
- Track width increased 20 mm front and 40 mm rear
- Polestar-tuned EHPAS steering
- Stabilising X- members, front and rear.
- Modified control-arms with uniballs front and rear.
- Reinforced bushings in sub-frame and control-arms
- Modified engine mounts
- Total weight 1640kg and optimized weight distribution
- Front Polestar-Brembo 6 piston calipers, 380 mm ventilated discs
- Rear Polestar-Volvo calipers, 302 mm ventilated discs
- Brake cooling air intakes from front
- Based on tests in Volvo’s wind-tunnel
- Lowered front splitter and larger rear spoiler to reduce high speed lift
- Carbon fiber diffusor
- Body 20 mm widened front and rear
- Polestar designed seats with increased support. Alcantara on all functional areas steering wheel, gear knob, and seats to ensure maximum grip.
- Centre console lowered for optimised gear-lever ergonomics.
Latest articles by Ujjwal Pandey (See All)
- Pravega Racing Design Review – Engineering The Future - February 19, 2013
- Return Of Stingray: C7 Corvette Introduced At Detroit Motor Show - January 17, 2013
- Physics Behind Race Car Drafting - December 28, 2012